It’s always a challenge to have something new for dessert or for a sweet snack. This Sundae Cone Cake Recipe seems to fill the bill nicely. This cake is actually ice cream! Are you surprised? That’s what makes it a sundae with the cone crunched up and placed around the “cake.” You can add peanuts or those sundae nuts you’ll find along with the chocolate or caramel syrup. You could add fruit if you’d like . . . there are lots of variations you could try.
Sundae Cone Cake Recipe
- 1 tub of vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 6 sugar cones you’re going to crush 4 or them for the “crust” and break up the remaining 2 to put around the “cake”
- 4 0z. of Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate or you can use the Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup. I’d like to add some Caramel Syrup, too with maybe some fruit for the top — it’s a sundae after all — you could even add banana slices
- 1 Tbsp. oil for the melted Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate if you go that route to give the “cake” a hard chocolate layer on top — like those dipped cones
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts of your choice — I like the package of nuts for sprinkling on sundaes
- You’re going to be making your “cake” in a 1 and a half quart bowl. Remember the top of the cake is on the bottom of the bowl. You’re going to line the bowl with aluminum foil. Get the ice cream out of the container and into the bowl.
- Using the back of a spoon, pack the ice cream into the bowl.
- Crush 4 sugar cones and place them over the ice cream. Press them gently into the ice cream to form an even crust.
- Freeze for 4 hours or until the ice cream is firm.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, unmold it onto a plate.
- Remove the foil.
- Break up the remaining cones into pieces and press them into the sides of the “cake”
- Just before serving, melt the chocolate as directed on the package. Stir in the oil and let it cool before drizzling over the “cake.”
- Sprinkle the nuts on top of the chocolate . . . or you can add some fruit — maybe dip some banana slices into the hot chocolate and set them around the “cake” along with the broken sugar cone pieces . . . or you can have them on top along with other chocolate dipped pieces of fruit of your choice.
- You may even want to drizzle on some caramel syrup.
This is a fun dessert your family will love and it isn’t that difficult to make.