It is fun to play with your food!!
These little guys would truly be a fun surprise to put in your kid’s lunch . . . or to have out for an after school snack. They are truly easy to make. . . and fun to eat.
You can make these apple bites with green or red apples. I guess the green makes them look more like monsters . . . but you decide what you want.
- green or red apples, washed, cored and quartered
- strawberries, washed and sliced for the monster’s tongue
- sunflower seeds for the teeth
- edible googly eyes
- peanut or other nut butter to keep the pieces in place
They’re easy and fun for the kids.
I try to keep an assortment of edible googly eyes on-hand. You never know when you’ll need them.
Have fun and let me know how your googly-eyed apple bites turned out.
Until next time,
I enjoy making easy bite size recipes. This is great for a quick snack and also for parties. It allows you to have after school snacks for the kids, too.
Let’s get started!
- 1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Flaky Layers refrigerated original or buttermilk biscuits
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef, cooked or 16 frozen (thawed) cooked meatballs
- 1 block (8 oz) Cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice, cut into 16 cubes
- 16 slices bacon
- Long toothpicks or skewers
- Canola oil for frying
- Feel free to add or delete ingredients
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits, then cut each biscuit in half. Press into 3 inch diameter circles.
- In the center of each piece of dough, place 2 tablespoons cooked ground beef (or 1 meatball) and 1 cube of cheese. Wrap the dough around the beef and cheese and pinch seams to seal.
- For the Fried Version: Wrap each stuffed sealed bite size cheeseburger with 1 bacon slice. Secure loose bacon with toothpick by inserting it through bacon and halfway into the burger piece. In 3-quart heavy saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°F. Fry each piece for 4 to 5 minutes or until dough is golden brown on all sides. Place on paper towels to cool. Repeat with remaining pieces. Serve warm with condiments of your choice.
- For the Baked Version: Heat oven to 400°F. Place bacon on foil-lined cookie sheet with sides. Bake about 8 minutes to partially cook bacon. Wrap each stuffed sealed bite size cheeseburger with 1 slice partially cooked bacon slice. Place bacon wrapped dough 2-inches apart on two foil-lined cookie sheets with dough seam side down. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with condiments of your choice.
This is an easy recipe. Fried or Baked, your family will love them.
Thanks for stopping by!