With warmer weather, hot chocolate may not be on your agenda right now . . .
Or having friends over . . . this may just hit the spot!
French Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped — get the best quality Guittard, Ghirardelli, Godiva — Don’t use chocolate chips, they won’t melt as well.
- plenty of whipped cream for a generous serving on top
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, powdered sugar and espresso powder over medium heat.
- Heat until small bubbles appear around the edges. Don’t allow to boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and stir in the chocolate you chopped up earlier, until melted. You may need to return the sauce pan to a low heat setting on your stove.
- You’re going to want to serve this warm, topped with a generous amount of whipped cream.
This is definitely a rich intense hot chocolate you’d find in a fine French establishment.
You may find your family enjoys it so much, you’ll be making this throughout the year.