Here we have a vegan banana bread recipe that is also gluten free. Isn’t it amazing that 20 years ago we didn’t even know anything about gluten . . . maybe you did, but I didn’t. Every recipe is a new adventure. And on that note, you can add nuts and maybe even chocolate chips — as long as they’re vegan.
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive or coconut oil
- 3 very large and very ripe bananas
- optional: 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, plus an extra handful for the top
- optional: 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Get out a large mixing bowl and sift the gluten-free oat flour and gluten-free all purpose flour together.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and salt to the mixing bowl and whisk it all together.
- Get out a medium mixing bowl, this is for the very large and very ripe bananas. You’re going to peel them and mash them up with either a fork or your hands.
- Add the mashed bananas, oil, optional chocolate chips and/or optional nuts to the dry ingredients. You’re going to mix this all together gently — don’t overdo it.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly oiled 5 x 9 inch loaf pan. Add the handful of optional chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. You want the top to be lightly browned. Test with a toothpick — you want it to come out clean, not gooey with batter.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before removing it from the pan.
- Wait about an hour before slicing it — you don’t want it to crumble on you.