I absolutely love, love, love apple pie!
I got hooked on using a small scoop to empty out an apple, then seeing what I could put inside.
I liked the idea of having single serving items. Similar to stuffed peppers. It seemed as though those were made just for me. I know it seems silly, but there is something about it that seemed special. Now, with these Apple Apple Pies I am in heaven.
I do love baked apples, but baked apples with a top crust . . . heaven! And what is inside is the stuff of a great apple pie. This is a great treat you can serve any time, but wouldn’t it be something special for Thanksgiving! You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top to make this absolutely delicious.
I don’t know about you, but baking an apple pie and cutting into it, then saving the left-overs in the pie tin or on a plate all wrapped up looks kind of sad. These Apple Apple Pies are single serving or you can half them with a friend and the remaining ones are still intact and inviting.
Well, let’s see how to make this delicious apple pie. You’ll need:
- 4 to 6 Granny Smith Apples that can stand upright on their own. You’re making individual pies here and want them to stand up straight and tall to impress your guests.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- You can make your own pie crust or buy it already made
Now, let’s put these pie together:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Wash your apples. Pat dry with a cloth or paper towel.
- Cut the tops off the apples and discard.
- Carefully get out the seeds and husks or whatever the unappealing stuff that makes up the core of the apple. You want to be careful so you don’t damage the outside of the apple.
- You can use a spoon, melon baller or small scoop to dig out the inside of the apple. You’re going to want to chop this up and use it for your pie filling. Now, there is a fine art to this. You need to go slowly and carefully. Or if this is too much for you, dig it out however you choose and then cut up another apple or two to add to the filling. Or buy the canned apple pie filling in the store. There are always alternatives. That can be our secret.
- In a bowl, you’re going to put your apple pieces and mix up the sugars and cinnamon. You can make adjustments to the ingredients to taste.
- Fill up your hollowed out apples with the apple pie filling.
- Roll out your dough. Cut in 1/4 wide strips and make a lattice work pattern over the top of each apple.
- Put the apples in a 8″ x 8″ pan. You want to add water to over the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and back for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the apple filling is soft and the crust is a nice golden brown.
- Let cool before serving. I do like to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but some people may want a hunk of cheddar cheese to go with their apple apple pie. However you decide to serve it, it will be delicious.
There you go! Something different and very eye appealing.