Fall is baked apple time of year!
And for a little twist, how about a Baked Caramel Apple!
- 2 crisp apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 caramels
- vanilla ice cream is optional drizzled with caramel sauce and sprinkled with cinnamon — I wonder about nutmeg instead of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice off the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the apples. Scoop out the core.
- Use a thin knife to make two, deep circular cuts around the center of the apple.
- Turn the apple over and make narrow cuts all the way around the apple.
- Place the apples in an oven safe dish and put two caramels into the center of each apple.
- Heat butter and brown sugar in the microwave for 30 second, stir and continue heating for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir in flour and cinnamon. Divide the mixture over the top of the two sliced apples.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. (Check apples after 25 minutes and continue cooking until tender. Some apples can take 45 min to 1 hour to soften.)
- Remove from the oven and use a large spoon to move the apples into bowls.
- Spread it out or it may fall out to make a really delightful display.
- Top with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. I prefer nutmeg to cinnamon, but it’s your baked apple treat. The ice cream will cause the caramel in the center to harden so eat quickly or put the ice cream scoop on the side.
This is a tasty treat the whole family will love. It’s like having apple pie without the crust. Or a caramel apple that’s easy to eat.