A hearty breakfast is a “must have” on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day. Those days when you’ll be waiting for dinner . . . maybe Easter Day, too. I’m not picky — this is a great breakfast casserole you can make any time.
This casserole serves 6
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 large egg — beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 ounce square baking dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 the chopped onion, 1/2 the crumbled bacon and 1/2 the cheese.
- Repeat for the remaining potatoes, onion, bacon and cheese.
- Combine the egg and milk in a small bowl.
- Pour evenly over potatoes, etc. in the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Uncover. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This simple recipe is a real hit with family and friends. Give it a try. Add other ingredients or substitute ingredients. This would work well with left over turkey, ham or whatever left-overs you may have.